Sunday, May 20, 2012

How to dress for graduation and a cocktail reception

Bonjour tout le monde! Only if you follow my social networking accounts have you been hearing from me as of late. I was busy earning my JD, after which I enjoyed a new found freedom; however, the end of law school is bitter sweet. I am finished with school but I start studying for the bar exam soon.
With graduation season upon us, I am posting what I wore to mine and I feel inspired to give a speech: 
On our very first day at Harvard, a very wise Professor quoted Aristotle: 'The law is reason free from passion.' Well, no offense to Aristotle, but in my three years at Harvard, I have come to find that passion is a key ingredient to the study and practice of law - and of life. It is with passion, courage of conviction, and strong sense of self that we take our next steps into the world, remembering that first impressions are not always correct. You must always have faith in people. And most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself. Congratulations Class of 2004, we did it!
Oops, that was Reese Witherspoon's speech as Elle Woods in Legally Blonde.
I was glad that the graduation gown perfectly showcased my heels and pink pedicure. If only I had a little chihuahua to walk across the stage with me to finish off my 'Legally Brunette' look...


Still, the most important thing for walking across stage is how your feet look feel. Heels add height and look great but if you are uncomfortable it can spoil your day. Lining up and being ushered around means you should opt for something comfy. The picture above of my feet was after six hours of wear. Just like my dress, my shoes were already part of my wardrobe so I knew how I would feel in them. Be sure to test out new shoes. Maybe invest in a shoe stretcher or wear socks with your shoes around your home.
I sported a fabulous suit to my graduation dinner but I wore this dress to commencement and my school's reception because becoming a lawyer does not mean you must don professional attire 24/7. Besides, I find lightweight dresses to be best under those graduate hoods and gowns. I also think sleeker dresses are better than something that puffs out. As you can see, my skirt has a thin petticoat attached. Leaving my petticoat bigger could have made me appear too wide. The robes add enough bulk.

I also opt for something classic instead of on trend because I want to look back on pictures from big events without focusing on outdated aspects of my look. Similarly, any makeup you wear should not be too punched up. I saw one face that seriously made me wonder if the girl under the layers of makeup was acting in a play right after the ceremony. I went with eyeliner, mascara, light blush, and lipgloss.
Outfit details:
Silk dress purchased 5+ years ago,
Chanel handbag, Chanel heels,
OPI polish, Rolex watch


♥ Thanks for reading and supporting my blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Proudly Powered by Blogger